Manager, Early Stage Innovation, Space Technology Office, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Dr. Andrew Shapiro is currently the manager of Early Stage Innovation for the Space Technology Office at the California Institute of Technology, Jet Propulsion Laboratory where he is currently managing several technology tasks for a potential Europa lander mission. He also currently manages the NASA Innovative Advanced Concepts, the NASA Center Innovations Funds and the NASA Strategic Technology Research Fellowships for JPL. He previously spent seven years as the Chief Technologist for the Enterprise Engineering Division at JPL and has been working in technology and microelectronic interconnects for more than thirty years. He was Associate Adjunct Professor at U.C. Irvine for fifteen years in Materials Science and Electrical Engineering. He was a lecturer in Materials Science for four years and currently has an appointment as a Visiting Associate in Aerospace at the California Institute of Technology and has performed research in cryogenic metallurgy, computational embryogeny, environmentally sustainable manufacturing of electronics, optical and high frequency packaging.
Dr. Shapiro earned his BS in Chemical Engineering at U.C. Berkeley (1981), his M.S. in Materials Science at UCLA (1989) and his Ph.D. in Materials Science at U.C. Irvine (1998). He is currently associate editor for the IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology. He has more than forty-five peer-reviewed publications, sixty additional technical publications, has ninety conference presentations, and holds ten patents and has five additional patent applications.
- Ocean Worlds Technology: Ultra Low Temperature Electronics (ULTE)
- Pop-Up Flat-Folded Explorer Robots (PUFFER)
- Bulk Metallic Glass (BMG) harmonic drives and gearboxes
- Gradient materials fabrication
- Low TRL technology across JPL
- “Cryogenic In-Situ Microcompression Testing of Sn.” A. Lupinacci, J. Kachner, A. Eilenberg, A.A. Shapiro, P Hosemann and A. Minor, accepted to Acta Materialia, June 2014.
- “Developing Gradient Metal Alloys through Radial Deposition Additive Manufacturing.” D.C. Hofmann, S. Roberts, R. Otis, J. Kolodziejska, R. P. Dillon, J-O. Suh, A.A. Shapiro, Z.-K. Liu, J P. Borgonia, Scientific Reports, June 2014, Vol. 4: 5357 DOI: 10.1038/srep05357 SREP-14-00784-T.3d.
- “Thin and Thermally Stable Periodic Metastructures.” Eleftherios Gdoutos, A.A. Shapiro, Chiara Daraio, Experimental Mechanics, 2013, DOI 10.1007/s11340-013-9748-z, ISSN 0014-458, Vol. 53, No. 9, pp.1735-1742.
- “Integrating Toxicity Reduction Strategies for Materials and Components into Product Design: A Case Study on Utility Meters.” C. Lam, S-R. Lim, O. Ogunseitan, A.A. Shapiro, J-D. Saphores, A. Brock, J. Schoenung, Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management, DOI: 10.1002/ieam.1384, on-line November 2012, 2013, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 319-328.
- “Willingness to Engage in Pro-Environmental Behavior: An Analysis of e-Waste: Recycling Based on a National Survey of US Households.” J-D. Saphores, O. Ogunseitan, A.A. Shapiro, Recycle-D, 2012, Volume 60, pp.49-63.
- “The 34 year starship.” J. Nosanov, A.A. Shapiro, H. Garrett, (2012) JBIS - Journal of the British Interplanetary Society, 65 (9-10) pp310 – 319.
- “Cryogenic Charpy Impact Testing of Metallic Glass Matrix Composites.” Scott Roberts, Carl Zachrisson, Henry Kozachkov, Adam Ullah, A.A. Shapiro, William L. Johnson, Douglas C. Hofmann, Scripta Materialia, on-line 22 November 2011, ISSN 1359-6462, 10.1016/j.scriptamat.2011.11.011, (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1359646211006944).
- “A Novel Energy Based Approach for Merging Finite Elements.” O. Yogev, A.A. Shapiro and E.K. Antonsson, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, Volume 85, Issue 2, pp. 187-205, on-line May, 2010.
- “Transition to Lead-Free Products in the U.S. Electronics Industry: A Model of Environmental, Technical, and Economic Preferences.” X. Zhou, H. Nixon, O.A. Ogunseitan, A.A. Shapiro, J.M. Schoenung, Environmental Modeling and Assessment, Volume 16, January 2011, pp. 107-118, , on-line July 2010, DOI 10.1007/s10666-010-9227-1.
- “Renovating the Electronics Revolution: From E-Wonderland to E-Wasteland.” O.A. Ogunseitan, J.M. Schoenung, J-D.M. Saphores, and A.A. Shapiro, Science, 30 October 2009, Volume 326, Number 5953, pp.670-671, DOI: 10.1126/science.1176929.
- “Electronic Packaging Materials for Extreme, Low Temperature, Fatigue Environments.” A.A. Shapiro, C. Tudryn, D. Schatzel, S. Tseng, IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, Volume 23, Number 2, May 2010, pp. 408-420.
- “Computational Evolutionary Embryogeny.” O. Yogev, A.A. Shapiro and E. K. Antonsson, http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/pre_abs_all.jsp?isnumber=4358751&arnumber=5299250, on-line December 2009, IEEE Transactions in Evolutionary Computation, April 2010, Volume 14, Number 2, pp. 301-325.
- “Adaptive Fault Tolerance for Scalable Cluster Computing in Space.” M. L. James, A.A. Shapiro, P.L. Springer, H. P. Zima, International Journal of High Performance Computing Applications, Volume 23, Number 3, SAGE Publications, 2009.
- “How Much e-Waste in U.S. Basements and Attics? Results from a National Survey.” J-D. M. Saphores, H. Nixon, O. A. Ogunseitan, A. A. Shapiro, Journal of Environmental Management, on-line June 2009, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2009.05.00.
- “Design and Evaluation of Bioepoxy-flax Composites for Printed Circuit Boards.” J. D. Lincoln, A. A. Shapiro, J. C. Earthman, J-D. M. Saphores and O. A. Ogunseitan. IEEE Transactions on Electronics Packaging Manufacturing, Volume 31, Number 3, July 2008, pp.211-220.
- “Understanding Preferences for Recycling Electronic Waste in California: How Environmental Attitudes and Beliefs Influence Willingness to Pay.” H. Nixon, J-D. M. Saphores, O.A. Ogunseitan and A.A. Shapiro, Environment and Behavior, February 2009, 41:101, pp.101-124, on-line March 31, 2008, doi:10.1177/0013916507310053.
- “Chip-on-Board (CoB) Technology for Low Temperature Environments. Part I: Wire Profile Modeling in Unencapsulated Chips.” K.K. Jinka, S. Ganesan, A. Dasgupta, S. Ling, A.A. Shapiro, and D. Schatzel, Microelectronics Reliability, Volume 47, pp. 1246–1250, 2007.
- “WIAD Minimization in Butterfly Laser Module Packages: Clip Design.” Y. Lin, J. Guo, A.A. Shapiro and F.G. Shi, IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, Volume, 30, Number 3, August 2007, pp.499-506.
- “Leaching Assessments of Hazardous Materials in Cellular Telephones.” J. D. Lincoln, O.A. Ogunseitan, A.A. Shapiro, and J-D. Saphores, Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, Volume 41, Number 7, July 2007, pp. 2572-2578. Selected as Best Paper in 5 year period in 2007 by University of California Toxic Substances Research and Teaching Program
- “A Comparative Hierarchical Decision Framework on Toxics Use Reduction Effectiveness for Electronic and Electrical Industries.” H-Y. Kang, O. Ogunseitan, A.A. Shapiro, and J.M. Schoenung, Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, Volume 41, Number 2, January 2007, pp. 373-379.
- “California Households’ Willingness to Pay for “Green” Electronics.” J-D.M. Saphores, H. Nixon, O.A. Ogunseitan, and A. A. Shapiro, Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, Volume 50, Number 1, January 2007, pp. 113-133.
- “Implications of Pb-Free Microelectronics Assembly in Aerospace Applications.” A.A. Shapiro, J.K. Bonner, O. Ogunseitan, J-D. Saphores and J.M. Schoenung, IEEE Transactions on Components and Packaging Technology, Volume 29, Number 1, March 2006, pp. 60-70.
- “Household Willingness to Recycle Electronic Waste: An Application to California.” J-D.M. Saphores, H. Nixon, O.A. Ogunseitan and A.A. Shapiro, Environment and Behavior, Volume 38 Number 2, March 2006, pp. 183-208.
- “Adopting Lead-free Electronics: Policy Differences and Knowledge Gaps.” J.M. Schoenung, O. Ogunseitan, J-D. Saphores and A.A. Shapiro, Journal of Industrial Ecology, Volume 8, Number 4, December 2004, pp.59-85.
- “A Comparison of Microstrip Models to Low Temperature Cofired Ceramic - Silver Microstrip Measurements.” A.A. Shapiro, M.L. Mecartney and H.P. Lee, Microelectronics Journal, Volume 33, May 2002 pp. 443-447.
- “Stress Testing of a Recrystallizing CaO-B2O3-SiO2 Glass Ceramic with Ag Electrodes for High Frequency Packaging.” A.A. Shapiro, N. Kubota, K. Yu and M.L. Mecartney, Journal of Electronic Materials, Volume 30, Number 4, April 2001, pp. 386-390.
- “Towards Model-Based Engineering of Underfill Materials: CTE Modeling.” H.T. Vo, M. Todd, F.G. Shi, A.A. Shapiro, and M. Edwards, Microelectronics Journal, Volume 32, April 2001, pp. 331-338.
- “The Integration of Passive Components into MCMs Using Advanced Low-Temperature Cofired Ceramics.” The International Journal of Microcircuits & Electronic Packaging, R. Brown, P.W. Polinski, and A.A. Shapiro, Volume 16, Number 4, Fourth Quarter 1993, p. 328.
- “Microwave Measurements on Superconducting Materials.” D. Miehls, D.F. Elwell, P.S. Fleischner and A.A. Shapiro, International Journal for Hybrid Microelectronics Volume 13, Number 4, December 1990, pp. 85-90.
- “Chapter 21. Technology Management.” G.M. Macdonald and V. Badescu (eds.), The International Handbook of Space Technology, Springer Praxis Books, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-41101-4_1, ISBN 978-3-642-41100-7, Heidelberg, New York, Dordrecht, London, 2014, Davis, R. Some, A.A. Shapiro.
- “Environmental Impact and Risk Evaluation of the Printed Circuit Board Industry in the United States.” Smart System Integration and Reliability: A special edition on the occasion of Herbert Reichl's 65th birthday. Berlin, 2009, Ed. B. Michel and K-D. Lang. C.W. Lam, S-R. Lim, O.A. Ogunseitan, A.A. Shapiro, J-D. M. Saphores, J.M. Schoenung.
- “Biocomplex Dimensions of Industrial Ecology: Sectoral Trade-Offs on Selecting Alternatives to Lead (Pb) in electronics.” Sustainable Planning and Development, Ed. E. Beriatos et.al., ISBN: 1-85312-985-2, The Sustainable World Vol. 6, Athens, 2003, O.A. Ogunseitan, J.M. Schoenung, J-D.M. Saphores, A.A. Shapiro, A.K. Bhuie, and A.W. Stein.
- “Process-Structure-Property Relationships in Recrystallizing CaO-B2O3-SiO2 Low Temperature Cofired Ceramic for Microelectronic Packaging.” Dielectric Ceramic Materials, American Ceramic Society, Westerville Ohio, May 1999, A.A. Shapiro, H.P. Lee, and M.L. Mecartney.