Ashish Goel joined the Space Structures Lab as a postdoctoral researcher in April 2016. He is working on Caltech’s Space Solar Power Initiative, looking at some of the system aspects of spacecraft and constellation design. He is also working on the design of electronic systems for the Autonomous Assembly of a Reconfigurable Space Telescope (AAReST) project. Ashish received his PhD in Aeronautics and Astronautics from Stanford University in 2016. At Stanford, Ashish worked with Prof. Sigrid Close, developing sensors and techniques for the detection and characterization of meteoroids and orbital debris in space. He received his bachelor’s degree in Engineering Physics from Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, where he worked on solar physics, fiber-optic lasers and a student satellite project. His primary interests are in the design of satellites and space systems, novel technologies and concepts for future space missions and high altitude balloon launches. In the past, he has also worked on the design of radioisotope-based thermophotovoltaic power systems for interplanetary missions and on the various effects of the space environment on satellite sub-systems.
- Space Solar Power Initiative (SSPI)
- Autonomous Assembly of a Reconfigurable Space Telescope (AAReST)
- Goel, A., Lee, N., Close, S., “Estimation of Hypervelocity Impact Parameters from Measurements of Optical Flash”, Int. J. Impact Eng., vol. 84, pp. 54-63, 10, 2015.
- Goel, A., Tarantino, P. M., Lauben, D. S., Close, S., “Design and Testing of Miniaturized Plasma Sensor for Measuring Hypervelocity Impact Plasmas”, Rev. Sci. Instrum. 86(4), pp. 043304. 2015.
- Goel, A., Franz, B., Schillo, K., Reddy, S., Howe, S., “Design of a Flight Demonstration Experiment for Radioisotope Thermophotovoltaic Power Source”, NETS Proceedings, 2015.
- Goel, A., Close, S., “Electrical Anomalies on Spacecraft due to Hyervelocity Impacts”, Aerospace Conference, IEEE, 2.1104, 2015.
- S. Close, I. Linscott, N. Lee, T. Johnson, D. Strauss, A. Goel, A. Fletcher, D. Lauben, R. Srama, A. Mocker and S. Bugiel. Detection of electromagnetic pulses produced by hypervelocity micro particle impact plasmas. Physics of Plasmas (1994-Present) 20(9), pp. 092102. 2013.
- N. Lee, S. Close, A. Goel, D. Lauben, I. Linscott, T. Johnson, D. Strauss, S. Bugiel, A. Mocker and R. Srama. Theory and experiments characterizing hypervelocity impact plasmas on biased spacecraft materials. Physics of Plasmas (1994-Present) 20(3), 2013.
- N. Lee, S. Close, D. Lauben, I. Linscott, A. Goel, T. Johnson, J. Yee, A. Fletcher, R. Srama, S. Bugiel, A. Mocker, P. Colestock and S. Green, "Measurements of freely-expanding plasma from hypervelocity impacts," Int. J. Impact Eng., vol. 44, pp. 40-49, 6, 2012.
- Rabinovitch, J., Goel, A., Niedzielska, U., Ganesan, S., Forman, R., “Vault-1 – A Mission Architecture for Human Exploration of Near-Earth Objects”, AIAA Space, 6.2012-5113, 2012
- Saptarshi, B., Jha, J., Goel, A., Thakur, D., Neema, K., Rachh, M., Reddy, N., Meesala, S., Das, S., “Measurement of Total Electron Count of the Ionosphere and the Social Goal of Pratham, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay's First Student Satellite”, IAC Proceedings, IAC-10.B4.2.4, 2010
- Goel, A., & Choudhuri, A.R., “The Hemispheric Asymmetry of Solar Activity During the Last Century and the Solar Dynamo”, RAA, 9, 115, 2009